Saturday, December 5, 2015

Just A Class

We’ve made it (almost). After next week, we are officially free from the chains of our first semester classes. No more of that dreadful anatomy, or biology, or math, or whatever it was that stressed you out. We can finally stop worrying about our school work (at least, until next semester hits).

When our Usem class ends, will we move on with our lives as if we never took the class? Will we forget the mindfulness bell, the books, the discussions, and videos, the songs, the experiences within a year? Probably, although I wish it weren’t this way.

I’m not sure if you all have the same sentiments as me, but when I finish a class, I drop it from my life fast. I throw my notes away, all the required readings go on the shelf never to be read again, and the knowledge immediately starts seeping out of my brain. It was just a class, another check mark on my way to graduation.

But there is something wrong with treating classes like tasks on a checklist. I don’t want college to be a quest to merely complete courses. I want college to be a quest to expand my mind. Too often, though, I forget that I go to Maryville to expand my mind. I go into my “default” frame of mind: I’ve got to get this done, then that, then I’ll go there, and finish that. Just a bunch of check marks on a list.

As this semester closes I am going to try my best to not let the things I’ve learned this semester evaporate from my mind. I am going to celebrate that my success and knowledge, not all my classes finally being over.

And going into next semester I am going to try my best to look at all my classes not as chores, but as opportunities, explorations, and challenges.






1 comment:

  1. Thomas, I really like this because I too tend to forget about a class immediately after it ends. However, I feel that this semester we have done a lot of things that we will be able to take with us. I have already found myself repeating the meditation, "just like me, he wants to be happy; she doesn’t want to suffer" when I am having trouble dealing with people or if someone is on my nerves (which I will ashamedly admit I do this fairly often). But that meditation, along with many other things, I feel I will take with me. I am hopeful that the friendships that I have made during our class will stay with me as well, and though it is sometimes hard, I am going to try to make it a point to keep in touch with everyone. Best of luck in your next semester and those to come, and I hope that you enjoy your adventure and continue to challenge yourself.

    ReplyDelete