Tuesday, December 8, 2015

12/2 What I've Been Learning About Social Justice

I’ve been learning a lot about social justice and taking a stand. My eyes have been opened to the many different groups that are fighting for social justice. Why do they have to fight for equal rights? Why cant they just be treated fairly? Ive been thinking about this a lot lately. I don’t understand why it has to be this way. Everyone is equal, so why cant why just treat each other that way? I know this isn’t the way it is, but what’s keeping it from being this way? The quote that we were taught during the beginning of the year really fits in this situation. “Just like me, they want to happy.”

Thomas and I have had an interesting conversations about this last week.  We wrote for a few minutes in class like we usually do, and I shared my thoughts with Thomas about what I wrote. I wrote in my journal about racism and where it comes from. Where does racism come from? How did it start? Why don’t humans just accept and love each other? These are some of the questions that I shared with Thomas. He told me that he has also thought of these questions before, and we had a interesting and enlightening  conversation about the questions I mentioned. Thomas and I both agreed that we couldn’t really think of how and where racism started, and we couldn’t think of how to stop it either. We figured racism has always been there, and it will probably always be a problem. What does racism come from? What things , in todays society and societies of the past, elicit racism?



No comments:

Post a Comment