Saturday, November 28, 2015

Grateful

When I got home last Friday, the first thing I noticed when walking in the front door was the smell of delicious food. Sure enough, my mom had a roast ready in the crock pot. I immediately got out a plate and ate and ate and ate. Quite honestly, I nearly ate the whole roast. After weeks of cafeteria food, nothing tasted so good.

I realized, however, that I did not need to thank my mom, but apologize. I used to always complain about having roast for dinner. It was never my favorite. But this instance made me realize how good I had it. The smile on my mom's face was priceless as I confessed how much I took her meals for granted.

Although this is just one example, I think moving away to college has made me realize how much I took for granted before. There was always a delicious home-cooked meal on the table each night. There was always a place to throw my dirty laundry so my mom could wash it for me. There was always a family there to support me, no matter how much they annoyed me at times.

This week has been so fulfilling to get reunited with my friends and family. I am so thankful to have all of these wonderful people in my life who have done so much for me over the years. The saying "we don't realize what we have until it is gone" is so relatable.

Today I am grateful for all the blessings in my life. One of my favorite sayings is "What if we woke up tomorrow with only the things we were grateful for today?" That one line can really make you think. Were you grateful today? What are you taking for granted today?

No comments:

Post a Comment