Friday, November 30, 2012

Dear Safety

Dear Safety,
      I want nothing to do with you. I throw off your constrictive, binding shackles in order to pursue a fuller life. A life worth living. A life worth losing. I don't want your fat steady paychecks or white picket fences. You can keep your stability and predictability and I'll take my adventure and purposefulness. Come after me with worry and I'll explain that you only need to worry if you won't let me go. Then    you     can     worry.
      Clip the wings of a bird because you're afraid it'll fly away and won't come back, and you'll never know how high it can soar. Deny it of it's inherent need to fly and it will forever resent you. Put it in a cage, tell it it's pretty, and only take it out when it's convenient and it will never sing for you.
      Safety, do not mistake my rejection of you as a fleeting infatuation with recklessness. No, I indeed also reject such a temptation. I am leaving you behind because you lie. You tell me that if I cling to you I will be happy and satisfied and better off. No more am I enchanted by these blissfully empty promises.
      With you I am safe. Without you I have the chance to be selfless. So, goodbye safety. I don't think I'll miss you.

Unregrettably,
             
                      Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment