Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sobrino & me

College church. It was a weekday and I dragged my feet, nervous for the audience not the speech. He viewed himself as a prophet, to decry the injustice of the system...somewhere along the way a faculty member asked for solutions...not in the job description. Too easy or enlightened? That's what Americans want after all, feign the motions of understanding and get your hands dirty with tangible actions. Let's fix it and if the solution means cutting a check here's twenty to take away my guilt. I don't remember the words but the undertones weren't forgiving. He wasn't about placating us or hiding the truth -the more uncomfortable & challenging the better-at least I recall the fire then. I remember walking up to Dr. Chmiel at the end of the talk to say hello, confided that I was terrified to go introduce myself. I didn't...

1 comment:

  1. fire is good to recall: the when and where, the feeling in the gut, the lessons it teaches us on perhaps, just maybe we'll do it in another way the next time, with a bit of the fire burning in us...thank you.

    ReplyDelete