Thursday, March 19, 2015

Why I Choose

I take this course to rediscover what I've lost... to seek what I never realized I was seeking. In the cold, dead of winter, I call out to god & the echo - the void- calls back with a whisper. Yet, I hear nothing. And, it's been this way for so long now. How do I reignite the fire, fan the flames, & find my way Home again?


I seek my Truth once again.

I've lost my way through the disease, the betrayal,the broken heart, the recovery hasn't completed, yet. From the police shootings, protests, riots, children killed, cops shot, cops shoot, families break. We have all realized we are victims in this city, state, country, world. & it's my job... No,my duty... to hunker down in the newsroom,at my computer, gawking, seeking that prime video... video so deep the pain of this city and the broken families within feel like they're from a film, not a 20 minute drive to the Other parts of town. Watching all of the drama unfold... Who benefits from this shared drama & amusing pain? The advertisers? The anchors? The show? We seek no clear Soul-ution in the Newsroom... Only the Stories of this city we and our loves call Home.

Six months ago... 11:58, Monday, August 11, 6 months ago, we went on air for News 4 at Noon after a night of rioting, looting, and peaceful protesting.

Working Sunday, August 10, I have never seen or been involved in covering anything so extreme in my life. It was a surreal sight. Friends, co-workers, up in the middle of everything. . . “Ground Zero.” Canfield Green Apartments. . . Protesting, reporting. Trying to stay safe. Emotions running high. Threats being thrown at news crews, officers, protesters, neighbors. Broken windows on live trucks and a burned down Quik Trip.
An endless work day. A never ending story and movement begun.
The anonymous drone of 12 police scanners chirping in my ear takes my attention back to this course... And what do I seek? I take this class to fall in love once again with the Compassion and Poetic Beauty in waking up with my lover, José, by my side, Bird songs chirping their morning melody, the cool breeze tempting me awake.


Another day is here. Another day has begun.

Where does the time go?

1 comment:

  1. My friend Sheri Hostetler gave me the epigraph for The Book of Mev: Hold it all.

    And so you are...

    ReplyDelete