Friday, December 28, 2012

Walking With Gaddi

One day Gaddi got in trouble
So his kindergarten teacher
Sent him to sit quietly
In our office for a few minutes
To calm down and reflect 
On the hope that he would not    
Repeat the undesirable behavior
That got him in trouble in the first place

So Gaddi sat quietly for a few minutes
With a serious look on his face     
Arms crossed high on his chest
Looking tinier than he was in the big chair
I don't know if he reflected on anything
But Gaddi looked calmed down
And so I offered to take him back to class

As we stepped into the courtyard
Leading up to his building and classroom
And into a gorgeous late summer day
Gaddi put his tiny hand in mine 
And trusting that I would keep him safe  
He closed his eyes and raised his face
To the sun's warm embrace  
Gaddi and I proceeded to walk together
Serene, leaving all our troubles behind
Him trusting me and I loving him

And once again, I was reminded
Why I love working with children
Gaddi sporting a blissful smile now 
Eyes still closed, he seemed to have
No other care in the world
But to let the sun kiss his beautiful face
And as I held his hand and guided him
We walked together, unhurried, back to class
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment