Saturday, October 24, 2015

"Where's God in this?"

Hello friends--
I know this post is long, but please please stick it out until the end! I just had a lot to say and couldn't do it without making it a little longer.
So, as some of you may remember, in class this past Wednesday as we discussed The Book of Mev, the chapters about God and prayer seemed to dominate the conversation. Toward the end of class, Mark began talking about one of the chapters and why the woman seemed confused about her religion. He then went on to talk about when things in life get a little bit rough, where is God?
Sometimes in life we face hardships. We face loss of loved ones, health situations, and other things along those lines. Some of it may be trivial, and some of it not so much. And sometimes, really terrible things happen to really good people. In situations like that, Christian or not, I think it's very easy to blame God. In hard situations we get angry and ask him, "Why this person," or "Why now," or, you fill in the blank.
This may not apply to some of you; I don't know everyone's personal beliefs, but I hope it speaks to at least someone.
So, what happens when things don't go our way? Is God to blame? Is He with us, as it teaches us in scripture? Or, in other words, "Where's God in this?"
The answer that I have found it yes; He is with us in all things. Every time we feel pain, He is with us. And He has experienced it, too. To prove this, I bring up Jesus, who was God in the flesh. Jesus came to earth as a man to save the world from sin. He was to be crucified, and while on the cross after being beaten and mocked, He cried out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). 
Now to me, this seems strange. Jesus, who was God in the flesh, who lived a perfect, sinless life and was crucified as though he was a sinner and a criminal would ask where God was in his pain and suffering. 
I think all too often when christians question God and ask “why?” they also begin to doubt their own faith and think that maybe they are wrong. I mean, we’re supposed to trust God in all things, right? That’s what we’re taught, isn't it? But I think it’s overlooked that by questioning and doubting and crying out it shows that you still have hope in His promises. In John 16:33, Jesus says “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” 
See, Jesus promises us that we will face trials. So when we ask questions and say “Father, why have you forsaken me,” it isn't a question that shows a lack of faith, it’s a way of asking God to draw near to you. Lack of faith would be giving up. It proves that you have no hope if you no longer ask questions; if you just walk away. Losing hope doesn't cause you to cry out to God and ask him where he is in your time of need. Picture a relationship. In marriage counseling, they teach you that it is a good thing to argue, because it shows that the marriage really is over when neither party has anything to say and they just say “I’m done” and give up and don't want answers. The same thing holds true in a relationship with Jesus. If you are seeking out, even in times of trouble, answers and reasons, it shows that you haven't yet given up.
Colossians 1:17 says, “He is before all things and in Him all things hold together." So, when things feel like they are falling apart, it is our job to remember that God is in control and it is His job to take care of the rest. We can't always see the bigger picture, but He has a plan for us. John 13:7 says, “Jesus replied, ‘You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.’”
So yeah, sometimes really terrible things happen, and oftentimes those really terrible things happen to really good people. But God is with us and He is for us. And when we do cry out as Jesus did in anguish and ask God, “where are you,” we need to remember that He has a plan. Romans 8:18 says, “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” 

Asking questions is not a bad thing. Looking to God to see where he is, is not unhealthy. It shows that you have hope in Him, and just because you don’t understand your present suffering, you can take heart in the fact that He loves you unconditionally and that He will take care of you. I hope that this brings a new light to anyone going through a situation in which they are feeling this way. Thanks for reading!

Paige

7 comments:

  1. Paige, I like your thoughts on doubt. The word doubt has so many negative associations that go along with it, but it is a healthy thing because, as you said, doubt shows that we care. If a person goes there whole life never doubting anything, then they never cared enough to think deeply about the things they have faith in. When we doubt, we ask questions, and answering those questions is often the most meaningful thing we can achieve (or attempt to achieve) in our lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this post 3 times now, and I am just figuring out how I want to respond to it. I, like most people, have had a lot of crappy things happen to me in my life. When I was in middle school, I felt very close to God, and believed he was always with me. After events that happened right before the start of my freshman year, I felt abandon by Him, and thought that he no longer wanted me to stick around. To hear you say that it is a good thing to question his motives and ask why he does what he does really hit me. I am very thankful that you put this post on the blog, and I a glad that I got to read it at this stage in my life. Keep writing stuff like this. You're good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige, Believe it or not, your post reminds me of Fahrenheit 451, the third chapter. Maybe you had a Bible on your desk as you wrote this reflection and turned to passages you had marked, or perhaps the scripture you quoted you had already memorized. In the novel Guy Montag meets people who have committed to memory, or learned by heart, the great works of our culture. I remember reading three decades ago about a political prisoner in the Philippines who was subjected to horrible treatment. He had memorized a lot of the Bible and certain passages, especially the psalms, helped him hope on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paigey, I love you and this post. (Even shared it on Twitter ). I’m so glad that you shared this because I think everyone needs to be reminded of this, Christian or not. I believe every single one of us in this class has had bad, unfair things happen to them. I think I’m almost an expert on shitty life situations by now, but I still can’t justify why some things happen to people. I like when you said that people ask God where He is in some situations, whether they believe in Him or not. I myself have done this numerous times, even when I didn’t really believe in Him. I think it’s definitely easy to look at all of the bad things happen in the world and ask God where He is, and why He isn’t doing anything about it. I saw a quote a few years ago and it said: “I would ask God why He isn’t fixing all of the problems we see today, but I would be afraid that He would ask me the same thing.” That really stuck with me and it definitely helps me when I’m ever doubting Him. Elise: I’m not sure what you’re going through at this stage, but I can say that when I look at my life, I can say without a doubt that there is a God out there watching over me and YOU and when you’re going through bad times there is usually a reason behind it. It just takes a loooooong time to determine what that reason is/was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such as awesome reflection Paige. I've read it several times and haven't ever been quite sure how to express my thoughts into words. So many people lose their faith in God when something goes wrong. "God can really love me if he's causing all this distress in my life right?" But you're reflection addressed this so well. We may not always know the reason, but if we give up on God because something goes wrong, what kind of people are we?
    Kristi, I love the quote you put in your comment! That is so strong and so true. We are so quick to lose our faith in God but do we ever stop to think how often we betray his love?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paige, I loved this reflection. I ahve been born and raised into religion and I am very grateful for that. But to be honest I have said the "Why me" or questioned why God would allow such a thing. When you talked about how Jesus wept for God it really made me happy. Happy that I can now be one with myself whenever I am facing tough times and I know that the Lord is there as he was there for Jesus. Although I will not say I am the perfect Christian, I am glad to say I am Christian. So many people nowadays veer from religion because there is no "proof". But if they would just open their eyes and look at everything God has given them or done for them then they will see the proof.

    ReplyDelete