Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Holidays

     I woke up this morning and for some reason I had the upcoming holidays on my mind; Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years day. Oh and I guess for some Black friday ;). Today I just feel like writing about my favorite parts of the holidays to me.
     First, Ill start off with Thanksgiving. For my family we keep this holiday relativly small and simple. The day typically consist of my parents, siblings and I, and our grandparents. My mother wakes up at about three thirty in the morning just to start cooking all of the delicious foods for the day. Turkey, sweet patotoes, stuffing, pumkin pie... ahhh i can just imagine all the glorious smells. When it is time for lunch we all gather around the kitchen and have a prayer before we eat. Most importantly, before we are all allowed to dig in, we must go around the room and say at least one thing that we are thankful for. We will always keep this tradition because it allows us to know the true meaning of why we come together that day.
     Next, my all time favorite holiday, Christmas. Christmas for my family is a blast, but we also make sure we know and elebrate the true meaning of it, which is the birth of Jesus Christ. For Christmas, my whole family comes over. Aunts, uncles, cousins... everyone. It is a riot! We all get one gift from someone else, e.g. i give my cousin a gift while I recieve one gift from my Uncle and so on and so forth. Laughter fills the air no stop. As it get closer to evening and people start to head back home, we bust out the board games. Those who have stayed usually all participate. We play these games usually close to midnight. We laugh, joke, eat, and simply enjoy each others presence all night until it is finnaly time to call it quits. I love these moments.
     Finally, New Years. With finger foods surrounding the party(usually thrown at my house), I dig in. We laugh and have fun. We watch tv and play games with he family. We stay up to midnight and start the year off right by being happy. We make new years resouloutions and hope to stick to them. It always seems at New Years I look back on how fast the year has went by and it always seems to happen in the blink of an eye. I look foward to these coming holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment