Monday, July 27, 2015

I am an Outcast Qualified to Live Among My Dead
A Balanced Life
7/23/15

What has brought me to this place?
I can see myself tip-toeing along a tightrope.

I told the young girl cradled in my arms a formidable truth;
I told the young girl cradled in my arms that I had had a past in the circus;
That I had balanced atop the bare backs of elephants.
Through the soles of my feet I could feel the shifting of their weight
From hip to hip lumbering and predictable, adjusting in every step.
I had stood on galloping draft horses in the arena, grey ones, dappled.
I could adjust my weight accordingly as I rounded the circle
Leaning this way, then that, astute to their slightest vernacular.
And I had balanced myself on a bar held over a flaming fire, the bar held by
Two prepubescent boys ready to twitch or flinch or
 Be distracted at any moment by their diversions.

So, yes, the circus was where I learned to pass on something fine--
Even transcendent—even if it was all a lie.

The girl in my arms knew and didn’t care.
She willingly let me carry her up into the empty lot that few dared to cross.
She didn’t pull back when I showed her where the kitten had been snatched off the wire fence
Killed instantly by a dog.
She didn’t cry when I showed her where I had sat alone in a bramble
Waiting for some refreshing drink
Or even wild creatures to investigate.

I carried her through the dry, tall grasses
Now brittle from August’s toll:

Telling my tales all the way along
I was an outcast; the tales, lies.
She conferred a blessing on me, nonetheless.
In her mind I qualified to be resplendent--

To be present among my dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment