Thursday, November 21, 2013

American Individualism

What if you didn't have to buy a lawnmower, instead you shared one with several of your neighbors?
Same goes for the rake, drill, wheelbarrow, shovel, and trowel.


What if you lived with your parents, brothers, sisters? Maybe you could take turns minding the children, instead of leaving them with strangers.

What if you shared a house? Think of all the savings! One TV, one microwave, one of all the things we call necessities which fill our homes.

If the individual, or the household, is the economic unit
and a household is only you and me,

We must consume more.

We don't share.

"That is mine"
Mine is customized in my personal color combination.

American individualism is now about consumption, not independence.

If you're suffering alone, just go to the store.
You'll find lots of other Americans shopping for items to personalize themselves.

* Author's note: I am not this cynical all the time! America has a rich history of strong social capital--from social clubs to sewing circles and much more. At times American culture these days can feel very isolating and superficial. And for decades the dominant message has been that each nuclear family can have it all. But I believe people are starting to wake up and realize the strength of community--research is proving that it's directly related to happiness--and that more people are becoming disillusioned with a mass-produced consumer culture where the individual is the greatest good. I refuse to buy into the idea that I have to go it alone, and that what I buy is who I am. I am so thankful for our writing and meditation groups, where peaceful community and space for thoughtful sharing are thriving.










No comments:

Post a Comment