Thursday, October 10, 2013

Ode to Frijoles (Redux)

Mark - I think you are right. I think this is better set in verse. I reread "Ode to Salt" by Pablo before revising, below.
  
My father was a good man
maybe even a great man
but he unraveled slowly
like an old wool sweater that got
snagged on the sharp edge of life,
straining ever since he landed
in Miami, a refugee from Cuba
with a coarse black mustache
who never quite fit in
never quite felt at home.

But my father could do one thing
that helped him forget where he was
and helped him remember who he was
and where he came from. He could cook
frijoles negros, Cuban-style.

Primero
first
sauté the onions
and don’t hurry them
let them turn golden
like the tropical sun.
Then
entonces
add the peppers
a little fire for the soul.
The frijoles too
must cook slowly —
three days, as many days
as Jesus was in the grave.

You’ll know when the frijoles are done
because you will not want anything else
for breakfast, lunch or dinner
when you first begin to smell
the bubbling, rich aroma
of God’s black frijoles.
You will run into the kitchen  
and you will beg me: Papi, please,
may I have the frijoles now?

And I will do exactly what my mother did
and my grandmother did, and all
the mothers and grandmothers of Cuba
as far back as anyone can remember.
I will pick you up in my arms and I will hand you
the special wooden spoon that I have used
to stir and stir and stir the frijoles
and I will say, Sí, mi querida, 
mi corazón. Yes, my darling, my love.
Take and eat. I have made this
all
for
you.

No comments:

Post a Comment