Tuesday, August 14, 2012

19+


My cat, you know, the one who always bites my toes,
Is going to live forever.
She is indifferent to her age, the way I figure, she is 19+
She is as she was and will always be.
Hiding from everyone but me, craving attention
But unable to receive it -
‘Come on, come on, please pet me,
I want to bite you’ – which always startles me and
I shout No! but she’s 19 and still does it.
She’s 19 and for 19 years has puked half of her dinner
On the rug of whatever room she happens to be in at the time.
She sits, four feet away from wherever I am, her back to me,
Waiting for whatever move I dare to make and then she’s
Under my feet and I cannot walk reasonably without
Stumbling over her.
She is a beautiful calico (my son says they are always a little crazy)
So beautiful.  She watches me carefully.
Her name is Sophie and she is 19+ years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment